Scientific Software Developer (Python and C++)
With a Staff of 5700, Forschungszentrum Jülich - a member of the Helmholtz Association - is one of the largest interdisciplinary research centers in Europe. The Jülich Centre for Neutron Science (JCNS) operates neutron scattering instruments at world leading sources in Garching, Grenoble and Oak Ridge, make them accessible to external users, and uses them for its own research on magnetism and soft matter. Furthermore, the JCNS is a major contributor to the European Spallation Source (ESS) that is currently built in Lund.
In the Scientific Computing Group of JCNS at the Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Zentrum (MLZ) in Garching we develop software for the analysis of scattering experiments, and support Instrument users. In close collaboration with the Data Management and Software Center of the ESS in Copenhagen, we will also develop software for reflectometers and quasielastic spectrometers of the ESS. Through this German in-kind contribution to the ESS, we currently have two openings for postdoctoral scientific software developers.
We are looking to recruit a as soon as possible two
Scientific Software Developer
- Develop open-source software to reduce, visualize, model and fit experimental data
- Lead the development of software used at specific diffractometers or spectrometers
- Cooperate with instrument scientists to improve data-anaysis procedures
- Recent PhD in physics or a related subject
- Communicative personality with broad interests
- Good command of spoken and written English
- Track record in software development, equivalent to at least one year full-time dedication
- Sound knowledge of C++ under Unix/Linux
- Experience with any of the following would be a plus: Python, Qt, CMake, git, LaTeX; test-driven development, cross platform development, web server programming; numerical mathematics, condensed-matter physics, scattering, spectroscopy, crystallography
- Challlenging and varied work in a small international team of enthusiastic professionals
- Visibility of our products in the web (apps.jcns.fz-juelich.de) and through scientific publications
- Limited for 3 years with possible longer-term prospects
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD).
Place of employment: Garching (Munich)
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably online via our online recruitment system on our career site, http://www.fz-juelich.de/SharedDocs/Stellenangebote/_common/dna/2017-066-EN-JCNS.html