Head of Platform (Python/Django)
We’re a team of 25 people working on a product used by millions worldwide that makes learning joyful and effortless, leveraging lots of brain science and plenty of humour in the process.
We’re scaling fast, and we’re now seeking a Head of Platform to take complete ownership of the team and processes surrounding our platform including: backend-services, data, devops, continuous-deployment and our web client.
This is a very exciting and challenging role, as we scale from millions to tens of millions of active users, and presents a fantastic next opportunity for an ambitious team lead / senior developer.
We’re looking for a hands-on, passionate and humble person, ideally with experience in a fast-scaling startup. You’ve an eye for quality, you still want to spend most of your time coding, and you love finding pragmatic solutions to tricky technical problems.
Reporting directly to our CTO, you’ll lead a team of 5 developers, and be responsible for scaling that team in the future.
It would be great if you had:
- 5+ years commercial experience
- At least 2 years experience of Python
- At least 2 years experience leading a team
- Experience with high traffic systems
- Enthusiasm, willingness and talent to dive in and solve problems regardless of programming language, context or significance (little bugs count!).
- An interest in empowering teams and mentoring coders
- The desire to spend a considerable amount of your time coding
When you work with us, you’ll get to work on:
- A large Django app and supporting services
- MySQL / Redshift / Kinesis / ElasticSearch / Redis
- ‘Micro’ services in Python / Go / Java
- Docker / EC2
- And much more besides, including the latest technologies
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we’re at least as interested in character as in talent.
We’d offer relocation for this role.
Fresh fruit; coffee and soft drinks. We have two cats in the office. We take in turns to cook a team meal every Friday on the office Aga (optional).Frequent hackathons and team expeditions.