Senior Django developer
About the company
We’re a small, content marketing focussed, consultancy based in London. Our core areas of expertise are digital publishing strategy, web product development and analytics.
We’ve grown organically over the past five years to build a solid client base of agency partners and direct clients. We also have a portfolio of around a dozen high quality B2B and B2C websites running on our SaaS Django CMS platform.
Our success has been achieved through our network of freelance partners which has been very successful model for us. We’re not looking to change that significantly as it provides flexibility to match the best expertise with each new project.
However, we have some new exciting opportunities for growth. We are looking to build on the success of our SaaS CMS product by developing innovative new features. We are also in the planning stages of a project to develop a SaaS analytics and data visualisation platform.
To achieve these we are looking to appoint a Senior developer to become the hub of our virtual team.
About the role
We have no preconceptions about your experience. You might be a young, up and coming, developer keen to move on to the next stage in their career or a seasoned veteran that wants to escape the corporate world.
You’ll need to be an all rounder though, the split of work will be approximately 70% front end and 30% back end. You should be as comfortable troubleshooting responsive HTML templates as you are extracting data from a PostgreSQL database.
We recognise that not everybody works best in a rigid 9-5.30 timeslot so we offer flexible hours to allow everybody to be at their most effective. In return, there may be occasions when we need to work out of hours for launches/upgrades to minimise client downtime.
- Driving innovative new functionality on our SaaS CMS platform
- Designing and building the new analytics/data visualisation platform
- Technical lead on new design and build projects
- Provide technical support for the existing client base
- Manage the SaaS infrastructure
The team is virtual so you’ll need to prove your ability to work remotely. We have partners scattered all over the country and use the latest collaboration tools to keep track of tasks and communication.
The culture of the organisation is to do the job right first time. That means putting in a little more effort now to save more time later. You’ll need to have accurate estimating skills which is fundamental to making projects profitable.
You’ll care about attention to detail, proper testing and have a logical approach to troubleshooting.
You’ll also be big enough to admit when you are wrong and know when to ask for help. We have a vast amount of collective expertise in our partner network from design and HTML coding through infrastructure and database management.
- Experienced Python developer
- Django, with 2+ years experience
- Linux operations experience including databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- web servers (nginx)
- Source control with Git
- Experience of Django CMS versions 2 and 3
- Experience with Ansible and Fabric, or similar automation tools
- Experience of Bootstrap, LESS and working with responsive frontends
- Experience of Linode and DigitalOcean or similar hosting platforms
- Contributions to open source projects, work visible on Github/Bitbucket
What we’re offering
- A competitive salary with a bonus scheme for billable time or projects you bring in
- 37.5 hours a week, flexible hours
- 20 days paid holiday per year in addition to normal UK holidays
- One week allowance for conference attendance subject to project deadlines
- Your birthday off (or a day in lieu) if it falls on a weekday
- 1 months notice from either side
This is a key appointment for the organisation. Our aim is to double our turnover in the next two years. If we can achieve that then there is the potential for the successful candidate to earn performance bonuses and/or an equity share.