Senior Software Engineer
Genomics plc is an ambitious genome analytics business formed in March 2014 by four leading scientists at the University of Oxford: Peter Donnelly (Director of the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics), Gil McVean (Director of the Big Data Institute), Gerton Lunter, and Chris Spencer. There will be an explosion in human genomic data linked to health and other phenotypic outcomes and the company’s vision is to bring together these data and develop sophisticated analytical methods for its interpretation in various scientific contexts. We have already developed the largest genotype-phenotype database of its kind in the world (comprising over 700 studies, almost 3 million participants and 500 unique phenotypes), together with functional genomic data. We have collaborations with four leading pharmaceutical companies and are a platform partner for the Genomics England 100,000 Genomes Project. Backed by some of the leading investors in life sciences, Genomics plc now has a cross-disciplinary team of over 30 people, primarily scientists and software engineers, based in central Oxford.
We are seeking an experienced Python developer to work on our platform for the statistical interpretation of genetic data. This is an exciting opportunity to join a cross-functional agile software development team, working with talented software engineers and statistical geneticists within a fast growing start-up company. You should be a highly motivated software professional with a passion for building a high-quality product.
You should have:
- More than 5 years of professional software development experience in a collaborative environment. We will also consider more experienced candidates.
- Proven expertise in Python
- A passion for agile software development practices, including Continuous Delivery and Acceptance
- Test Driven Development
- Experience of developing scalable server-side software
- An understanding of the challenges of analysing large datasets
- Proficiency with automated end-to- end testing
- Given the sensitive nature of data used in Genomics plc you will be expected, as with all other employees, to ensure high standards of information security in your work.
Ideally you should also have:
- Experience of numerical software development in Python
- Experience of DevOps and release/deployment automation
- An appreciation of data protection and data security issues, and of their implications on system design
- Experience of modern C++ or R
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to people with a range of technical backgrounds
- Enthusiasm for solving problems in the field of genomics and healthcare
- Experience of mentoring domain experts and less experienced developers.
In return we offer:
- The chance to contribute to work that will have a direct impact on disease treatment
- Working in a dynamic, highly collaborative, friendly agile environment
- A competitive salary, with pension, private healthcare, and other benefits
- Share options in Genomics plc.
All candidates must have the right to work in the UK to be considered. Please apply with a CV and cover letter addressing the above criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org