Senior Django Developer
Web development agency seeking senior Django developer with 3+ years as a dev, and who has been team lead on multi-person projects. Wagtail experience desirable.
Squareweave is a socially-conscious design and web development agency. We build web applications and websites for a range of clients, focusing on the Not-For-Profit and social good sector. Our aim is to make a meaningful difference for our clients, their customers and the planet. We believe that technology can make the world a better place by improving, even in small, incremental ways, systems that impact many people. We undertake consulting and strategy work with our clients about what they should build, we utilise UX and design to help guide how to build them, and we have strong delivery teams to bring those ideas to life.
We are seeking a Senior Python Developer to join our team. This is a job for a developer who is motivated by the purpose behind their work and is focussed on the outcomes of the projects we take on. You’ll care about our clients, their end users, and your teammates. You would be joining our existing development team in Melbourne who mostly work with Python/PHP, but also have experience in Ruby, JS and React. Our team works as part of a larger organisation based in New Zealand consisting of 35+ people across Wellington and Auckland.
We give you flexibility in choosing your development tools and operating system. Most staff use OSX, but we also have Linux and Windows users. We’re a welcoming and supportive dev team who enjoy helping each other achieve great outcomes.
As a Senior Python developer you will…
- Write exemplary backend code for web sites and applications.
- Have a focus on quality and perform testing tasks on features that you and others have written.
- Help to design robust and maintainable solutions you build. E.g. to anticipate future changes, or to support integration with other systems.
- Take part in code reviews as both the reviewer and receiver of feedback.
- Assist analysis and clarification work with clients and other developers around specific tasks. This involves communicating with less technical audiences, and also estimating the effort required to complete a task.
- Take on the role of Technical Lead on projects. This involves taking ownership for the success of a project, driving client and team discussions towards a conclusion, helping the team around you to thrive, and collaborating with the project manager to ensure commitments are met.
- Help our business development team through analysis of client proposals, designing solutions, estimating tasks, and occasionally helping to present our proposals.
- Mentor and train others in your team and encourage a collaborative workspace for your peers to excel.
- Have a growth mindset and keep up-to-date with industry trends and technology developments.
The experience you will bring is…
- 3+ years working as a software developer full time. You should also have been the technical lead on at least one project involving other developers. We want you to have seen a few things go well, go badly, and dealt with established codebases (not just greenfields projects).
- Experience working with existing Python applications and making new ones.
- Experience with the Django web framework.
- Experience with Git as a version control system.
- Experience with SQL, ideally Postgres and the MySQL/Mariadb variants.
- Basic experience with Linux command line (SSH/SCP; basic file operations like move, copy, and change directory).
Experience with the following would be well-regarded…
- Experience with Wagtail. All our Python applications are Django, and many are built with Wagtail.
- Have written automated tests at some level for your applications.
- Experience with Docker and Docker Compose (we use the latter for our dev environments).
- Experience with AWS. Mainly we use EC2, S3, SQS, SES, RDS, and IAM.
- Experience with Linux sysadmin: configuration of Nginx/Apache, SystemD, installing packages on RHEL-like environments, Linux user management etc.
- Atlassian JIRA for project management.
- Experience with Heroku.
- Salesforce integration experience.
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails (RoR) experience, the broader organisation has a lot of RoR apps.
Gender Equality and Diversity
Squareweave is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are also passionate about achieving equal gender representation in the tech industry. Due to the acute underrepresentation of women in tech roles we see it as our responsibility to consider and give fair and reasonable opportunity for women to join our team. We pride ourselves on our inclusive and flexible workplace culture.
People of all ages, genders, and backgrounds are encouraged to apply by Friday 20 March 2020. Any attached documents should be sent as a PDF.
Applicants for this position should have the right to work in Australia to apply for this role. No companies or recruiters please.